Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Melanoma: The Most Serious Kind Of Skin Cancer!



Melanoma: the most serious kind of skin cancer!

SAINT PAUL, Minn.- If one person is helped by this then I have done something positive. Tuesday evening, not long after my previous post on the K.C. Chiefs the phone rang and some bad news hit home-the melanoma was back.

Someone very close to me had a melanoma removed from their arm after being diagnosed with this deadly form of skin cancer in January and after a biopsy of the same area last week during a check up the results came in- the melanoma is back.


People I CANNOT stress enough how important it is to pay attention to your health especially any questionable spots or freckles. When you have a physical make sure that part of it includes a skin check.

We do not live in a perfect world and I am guilty of sitting in the ballpark and forgetting to reapply sunscreen on a very hot, sticky day and I have been burned even knowing the game of roulette I am playing.

Again I am going to repeat my previous post from January:

It sounds cliché and everyone has an opinion but it is VERY important to realize the magnitude of skin cancer and how it affects people’s lives on all levels. No one person is immune to cancer and although there are many forms of cancer ranging from breast to brain and skin cancer, it (Melanoma-cancer) is a deadly disease people are fighting and surviving everyday.

Here is where I jump on the old soapbox. I want everyone to remember how important it is to protect yourself from the sun. Please remember to wear sunscreen when you go out doors whether it is to ski, run, play or watch baseball. It is not a matter of if cancer can happen because I am here to tell you it can and will. With preventive care, sun protection and a visit to a physician yearly to check skin changes and spots you can catch and beat a deadly disease.

For information on skin cancer, a body map, sunscreen recommendations and other facts please visit the Skin Cancer Foundation.


There are also free screenings avaiable just visit: http://www.skincancerscreeningtour.com/ Put in your zip code and find a screening location near you.

Again I am trying to be positive about it all but sometimes I cannot help but feel like I am in the bottom of the ninth on deck with 2 outs, 3 balls, and 2 strikes. Please, if you take anything away from this post- Protect yourself and your loved ones from skin cancer.

Thanks for listening!

No comments: