Saturday, July 02, 2005

You Know A Dream Is Like A River...

Garth Brooks sang an incredible song called, "The River"
these are a few of the lyrics I find poignant:

You know a dream is like a river
Ever changin' as it flows
And a dreamer's just a vessel
That must follow where it goes
Trying to learn from what's behind you
And never knowing what's in store
Makes each day a constant battle
Just to stay between the shores.

I
had the opportunity recently to spend time visiting with someone I have tremendous respect for. A few years ago, I had lost sight of my goals. This extremely talented individual, along with a few other very important people I am blessed to have in my life had an enormous impact on the choices I've made since I met him during the 2003 Northern League season. When I spoke with him about the direction my life has taken he advised me to keep doing what I love and even when things are going great to remain grounded, go with the tide and just enjoy what you are doing with out expectations. If you get too wrapped up anticipating what might happen you will set yourself up for a huge disappointment when it does not. He continues to inspire me because he has the courage to keep following his dreams.

Even though we feel some amount of control over the path our lives take, we are the dreamers and life is what happens to us along the way. Some days it is clear sailing and other days we have to be prepared for stormy weather.

Important things I think we need to remember about life:

1. How blessed we are by the people who are in
our lives to support us along our journey.

2. A life preserver (good friends) comes in handy even on a day
with clear sailing, rough waters could be around the bend.

3. Dream big, but remember to keep your feet planted firmly
on the ground. (If your head gets in the clouds, you might crash
and burn when reality gets a hold of you.)

4. No matter where the journey takes you, enjoy the ride
because you cannot change the scenery.

5. Remember to live your life to the fullest every day.

Thank you to all the people who have been in my life for a moment along the shoreline and for those who've weathered the storm while enjoying the scenery with me along the way! No matter what happens in my life I will always remember how you stood by to keep me grounded when I finally found my wings to fly.

No comments: